Norwegian University of Science and Technology (2007)
M.Sc. in Communication Technology (Norwegian title: Sivilingeniør)
The subjects included mathematics, physics, programming, databases, signal processing, networking, information security, cryptography, queue theory, etc.
Yahoo! Technologies Norway (2007-2013)
- Support and engagements for various Yahoo! properties (Flickr, Image Search, Delicious, Kelkoo, etc.), helping them use Vespa (the search technology built by the Trondheim office).
- Maintained and wrote documentation for Vespa, including the 80 page definite tutorial on how to use the search platform.
- Developed utilities for validating the documentation, converting it to LaTeX, and building PDF versions.
- Developed and maintained internal documentation site for Vespa.
- Developed various demos showcasing Vespa.
- Thought up and built various internal tools based on Vespa; Bugzilla Search, iList Search and Employee Search.
- Designed architectural blueprints for search and cloud solutions.
- Created printed material and presentations for YTN (leaflets, ads for recruting, Powerpoint slides, etc.)
- Wrote a complete framework for developing web applications and REST-ful APIs.
FIRST LEGO League Trondheim (2006-2007)
Project Manager, part-time
- Increased the size of the tournament from ~30 to ~50 teams (~600 children), and oversaw moving the tournament from Statoil to NTNU.
- Presenting the project to potential sponsors.
- Following up sponsors.
- Designing the printed material for the tournament.
- Managing volunteers.
- Presenting the project at various schools and events; Technoport, Forskningstorget in Trondheim, etc.
- Thought up and organized events for the FLL participants in Trondheim to visit the university; NTNU Open, the Nano Day (the year FLL was about nano technology), and a Dream Day at NTNU for the winning teams.
- Also engaged in previous years as volunteer, head of the volunteers, responsible for judges, and responsible for sponsors.
IT Department, Faculty of Medicine, NTNU (2002-2003)
Systems developer, part-time
- Designed and implemented complete e-learning solution for use at the Faculty of Medicine.
- Designed and implemented PHP/Zend extension for accessing Oracle Calendar Server.
FAST Search and Transfer (2000-2001)
Front-end developer, part-time
- Implemented and designed the front-end for FAST Multimedia Search 2.0.
- Worked on prototyping and user testing for a never released multimedia player.
IT Department, NTNU (1997-2001)
User support at the Service Desk Section, part-time
- User support services for students and employees at the university.
- Managed Linux servers and services for the support group.
- Designed, illustrated, and wrote the text for Dataguiden, a handout to new students.
- Developed internal, web-based tools.
- Linux Used since 1995. Debian, Ubuntu, and Red Hat on both desktops and servers.
- Windows Used from versions 3.0 to XP.
- OS X Used as primary desktop OS since 2012.
- PHP Used frequently since 1997.
- Java For assignments at NTNU, plugins and for document processing at Yahoo.
- Shellscript Simple scripts every few months.
- Python Developed a few tools now and then, nothing much.
- C Wrote PHP/Zend extension for accessing Oracle Calendar Server.
- C++ Worked my way through tutorials, nothing more.
Technologies and Standards
- HTML In-depth knowledge.
- CSS In-depth knowledge, including SASS, Less, and Bootstrap.
- Vespa The search technology built by Yahoo! Technologies Norway, extending the old search technology from FAST Search and Transfer.
Tools and Applications
- LaTeX Written thesis and various papers.
- Adobe PhotoShop Used since version 2.5.
- Adobe InDesign Used since version 1.0.
- Adobe Illustrator Used now and then, basic knowledge.
- Balsamiq Used for building various mockups.
- git, svn, and cvs